Saturday, January 10, 2009

Joy and Pain


Yesterday, I was talking to a wonderful woman that I have done some babysitting for. A few months ago, we talked about how she was starting depression medicine because the chemical imbalance in her head was so bad. She had finally come to terms with being a Christian, believing in God's healing, but still needing this medicine to help when someone in her church small group made a comment about Christians not having faith if they take anti-depressants. Being extremely sensitive to the topic, she immediately withdrew and was unable to confide in these friends.



I asked her yesterday how the medicine was helping and her response was hopeful! She said it has been working wonderfully and she hasn't had any deep bouts of depression, in fact not many mild ones at all. However, she was a little discouraged because she is an extremely joyful person most of the time, and the medicine seemed to dull this joy. It made me really sad to hear, because feeling joyful is such an amazing gift of God, and she truly was one of the most joyful people I've ever met! She still seemed to have joy, but to hear her say that she can't feel it as vividly was just awful.

It made me realize that I should cherish my moments and days of joy. They are so many...and I fail to recognize the blessing it is to have such profound happiness and joy. Some days and nights I have a 'low,' but now I know what it feels like to have both and I need to cherish them both.

It's like the seasons. It sucks right now to live in a freezing cold winter wonderland...(probably 10 inches today in Chicago) but when the spring, summer, and fall come...we can LOVE and enjoy the variety.

I'm definitely not saying that some people don't need medicine to help regulate their brain chemicals, but if you don't need it, you should be thankful and blessed. Even and especially when you have a day in the valley...

on that day you can pray this prayer from psalm 6:
7"My eyes grow weak with sorrow; they fail because of all my foes."

8"Away from me, all you who do evil,
for the Lord has heard my weeping"

9"The Lord has heard my cry for mercy;
the Lord accepts my prayer"
or from Psalm 5

"Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, My King and My God for to you I pray. In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation..."But I, by your great mercy, will come into your house; in reverence will I bow down toward your holy temple."

God is so good...and will bring us joy!

1 comment:

Grandpa said...

I'm a Christian who's been on Zoloft for three years and takes utter delight in reading the riot act to people who think it's a sign of a spiritual problem.