Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A life WITH God


Okay people. I'm done with not making time for God in my daily life. And so are many Christians. Maybe you've hit a plateau and just can't seem to break through. Well, the 60-60 experiment is a wonderful option for you.

For the next 60 days, we are going to walk in unity with God. We will form the habit of talking to God and sharing our every moment with Him.

I'm in this group on facebook, and I think it's an amazing idea. Here are the directions:

The 60 60 Experiment

God wants to do life with you moment by moment. As you are willing, he will guide you into an amazing experience of life. Not where everything goes as you wish on the outside, but where God produces what you've longed for on the inside. This 60-60 Experiment can start you down that path as you learn to connect with God in a continuous conversation, using reminders every 60 minutes to reorient. The goal is a moment-by-moment connection, but this takes practice. Don't worry if you get sidetracked or off course along the way; just begin again.

1. Be aware of God's presence. With every beep of the watch or every reminder you see, stop and simply acknowledge God's presence with you, and thank him that he cares about you and wants to help you through your day. You may want to memorize 1 Peter 5:7 to remind yourself that he cares: "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."

2. Converse with God about everything. The goal is to be mindful all the time. Open your mind to talk over with God all your thoughts, worries, work challenges, decisions, temptations, and failures throughout your day. Instead of just talking to yourself about them, talk it over with God. He will honor this as you stay diligent.

Think of it this way, you can't control the future, you can't change the past, but if you can have a good moment right now by living faithfully with God, followed by another and another, you'll have a good day - a faith-filled, fruitful day. And if you have a fruiful tomorrow, and the next day and the next, you'll end up becoming all God intended!

I hear people complain all the time about not feeling close to God, not sure they can trust him, not sure God cares. But they never committed to staying connected to God in their daily life, and when they do take time to communicate, the communication is 'one-sided'. Rather then doing life with God, it's all a religious, formal, ritualistic meeting for them. I'm convinced God desires an unrehearsed, gut-level, rigorously honest conversation throughout the moments of the day.

So you're getting cranked up at work, your stress level starts to red-line, and the beeper goes off--or you see the sticker on your computer, "Re:60-60". Are you aware? God's here! Open the conversation in the midst: "Lord, I'm getting wound up here. I'm feeling burdened. Jesus said, the life you want for me isn't burdensome (Matt. 11:28-29)--so help me. Show me how to do this your way."
Or maybe you're right in the middle of some thought or action you know is wrong. The temptation is to hide from God, but do you really think that's possible? No--it's just detrimental. So instead, you open up communication and ask, "God, what am I doing? I know this is not your will. Thank you that because of Christ, you forgive me for this too, so I don't have to hide from you. Come help me. Help me do the next thing right."
*********************************************************************************
Lets do this thang and see how God MOVES!! I'll be posting my updates. Accountability is KEY to living a life in the spirit! Let me know what you're doing to grow.

Peace!

1 comment:

Joe and Amy said...

You are awesome, Olivia! I just saw your blog on facebook and decided to check it out! Way to go, you are inspired and full of passion and I LOVE that you aren't hiding it! We have always known that you are a strong and amazing girl. I am so proud of the Godly man you married and the goals that you have set to keep renewing yourself and each other. I wish we were (geographically) closer, I'd love to catch up! -amy